The Senior Fire Safety Engineer (Rational Design) will ensure that engineering and service requirements are
met across all sites. This position will offer many opportunities to be part of the Just Energy Transition in
South Africa across multiple Industries in Industrial Hazard Fire Protection. Come join us and make a positive
contribution to a more Sustainable World!
• Ability to complete design fire cases based on:
• Fire Dynamics Simulator (or similar; CFAST; FDS; SMARTFIRE; KFX);
• SANS 10400 & SANS 1461 (BEVI; PERD etc) and other industry recognised guidelines (FM
Global Data Sheets; GAP Guidelines); and
• Application of Recognised and Generally Accepted Good Engineering Practice (NFPA; ISO; BS
• Fire Water (FW) demand calculation, Hydraulic calculations, FW layout distribution & reticulation,
FW UFD & P&ID’s, Heat radiation contours, monitoring/detection covering, requisitions, etc.
• Deliver quality engineering deliverables to clients and other disciplines.
• Ensure project schedules and work plans are adhered to.
• Translate fire safety and suppression systems intention across disciplines during the design lifecycle.
• System Interface Cause and Effect Matrices
• Evaluate vendor proposals for bid clarifications.
• Work closely with other disciplines and aspire to support and achieve the goals of the company.
• See to that engineering innovation, optimisation and strategies are implemented and enforced to the
advantage of our partners.
• Interface with other engineering disciplines, clients, architects and the AHJ.
• Registered as Pr.Eng or Pr.Tech with ECSA and/or
• Registered as Pr.Eng Fire Specialist - Rational Design with ECSA (or ability to register within one year)
• IFE Level 4 Diploma in Fire Science and Fire Safety (or equivalent)
• Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Fire Engineer (Rational Design) in the Metal Refining, Base Chemical,
Power Generation and/or Petrochemical Industry with a proven track record in basic engineering, design,
commissioning, and operations support.
• Experience in Industrial Hazard and Special Risk Fire Protection
• Computer literacy with MS Office, MS Project, MS Excel and AutoCAD. Preferred experience includes
Primera P6; Pyrosim, Pathfinder and Autos prink.
• Membership with recognised Fire Safety industry bodies will be advantageous. (Like SAQCC Designer,
• Strong knowledge of fire suppression; detection systems and passive fire protection
• Strong knowledge of fire safety engineering standards
• Good knowledge of applicable design codes, standards, and regulations used for rational designs.
• Strong knowledge of safety & protection systems applications and implementation
• Knowledge of Emergency Response and Incident planning submissions for AHJ approval
• Proven track record in brownfields replacement engineering and design projects for both fire detection
and suppression systems.
• Good grounding in process safety and consequence analysis in an MHI environment
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to time management and prioritize tasks into different reporting structures (line vs project)
• Quality and detail driven
• Self-starter and able to work independently
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to work under pressure